Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Task #4 The Reader

Catch the Movie reference?

Seriously, I logged into Google Reader and subscribed to three different blogs: Dojo Rat (A blog posted by a Martial Artist in Seattle), Next Big Future (A blog about cutting-edge science and new developments in technology) and Instapundit (a general/political blog). All three are pretty interesting and you should check them out.

In examination of the RSS feature, I, personally, don't see what the big deal is. Yes, it is nice to have everything in one spot (Brought to you on one plate as it were), but I really didn't see how the old way was such a travailing experience.

When you go to a blog or newssite, all you have to do is go to Google, type in the name of the site and you are there. It's a process that takes only a few seconds. 99.9% of the time you spend on a blog is taken up with reading content, which you do with a reader anyway.

Secondly, a blog is often more than just the posts. A lot of times, I've found new and interesting blogs because I've followed the links posted in a sidebar and the reader didn't have that.

Admittedly, I've only tried the Google Reader. Others may have that option.

I won't be using a RSS on a regular basis, but this was good to learn so that I'll know enough to talk about it to patrons that ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment